Friday, November 9, 2007

Living Up To Your Word


There was a time, not that many decades ago, where a person lived and died by his word, by his promise to do something or to live up to a certain code of ethics. That time, as I found out today, thanks to liberalism and the duty shirking role models we have today, is one that is in grave danger of fading away into history.
Giving your word is something not to be taken lightly. It is to be considered and given with all reverence and solemnity. It is, as stated, a solemn promise or oath. Giving your word doesn't mean just saying you'll do something but also requires you to live up to what you say. Your word, when given, tells the other person you gave it to that, you can count on me; don't worry.
I have served in the Navy for nearly 20 years. During this time, I have been sent on many deployments across the globe starting as a 23 year old sailor at the tail end of the First Gulf War. During this deployment, I learned of the death of my mother from diabetes. I was saddened and wept like a child but I still carried out my duties. In addition to this deployment, I had been sent to Kosovo and to the Arabian Gulf in support of both Afghanistan and the Iraq War. In between wars, I've even chased pirates in the caribbean in a attempt to thwart drug smuggling into the United States. While I was away, I missed births, deaths, funerals, holidays, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries and other special events with my family. There were times that I was away from my family for months communicating only through regular mail or a 10 minute phone call when my ship decided to visit a port. There were times I was afraid or did not want to go on the scheduled, and often unscheduled, deployments but I went because I felt it was my duty to do so.
Why did I feel duty bound to do this? Because, on a cold day in January of 1988, I freely rose my hand and took an oath to God, the President and to everyone who lives in this nation, to 'support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic'. It was an oath I did not take lightly and one, although I struggled with it, I have lived up to it regardless of the long seperation from family and loneliness and fear I endured.
Today, I had a 22 year old boy, not a man for he is still far from ever being called that, who, out of fear, rejected his orders to report for duty in Iraq. He was not going to be sent to a combat unit but to a logistical one in the confines of the Green Zone in Baghdad. He would have lived in a barracks, not in a ditch, eating 3 warm meals a day and be able to communicate to his family through e-mail and telephone calls. This, in comparison to the life experienced by soldiers in the field, is not only safe but pretty comfortable.
It was not only fear that motivated him to repudiate his orders but also because he was unwilling to give up time he would have lost with his friends and girlfriend he sees every weekend. When I look at all the lost moments I can never regain with my own family and friends I have but little sympathy for this boy.
If he was a draftee, perhaps I would feel some form of compassion for him but I cannot find it within myself. He is a volunteer; just as I am. With the uniform they issue him come certain obligations we must adhere to including the possiblity of having to serve in a combat area. The Navy, as are all the other branches of the service, is not something to just waste 2 to 4 years of your life just so you can gain free money for college; there are expectations expected of you as well. Obligations we cannot refuse. Duties we must perform.
To add insult to injury, after the discipline review board was held on him determining that he must face non-judicial punishment, my sailor was found outside holding court with his friends and openly mocking the entire proceedings including a horrible and disgraceful mock salute he laughed with his friends about. His behavior has been noted and will be mentioned at the judicial proceedings in front of our commanding officer where they will, without doubt, bring great influence upon the CO's decision to punish this boy.
He additionally holds no guilt over the fact that because of his absence, another sailor has been detailed to take his place in Iraq. He gave no thought to this man's family, or friends or financial considerations; he only thought about his own comfort and safety and spending time partying with friends and making out with his girlfriend in somewhere-ville, North Carolina.
I think that he should write a letter to apologize to the man who took his place. Others agreed and he will be forced to write such a letter.
I don't understand where he can get off thinking that he can shirk his duties? Why he must be held to a different standard than the 110,000 other men and women already in country in Iraq and Afghanistan? There are men and women there who have sick fathers, or strained marital relationships or children they have never seen but they go about their duty because they gave their word.
My sailor doesn't know the meaning of the words "I promise".
Because of legalities (and liberalism), I cannot send him to the military prison he so rightly deserves. I believe that a year in Leavenworth, Kansas; one of the worst military prisons in the country, literally, a hell on earth would properly punish a boy who is far too selfish for his own good. Because of 'sea-lawyers' I cannot punish him as he needs to be but can only provide 'administrative' punishment.
Still, I fully intend to see that 'administrative' punishment is dealt to him as he deserves.
He deserves his rank to be removed from him.
He deserves the restriction to the barracks and additional manual labor over a period of months that will be assigned to him.
He deserves his college money taken away from him.
He deserves his benefits stripped from him including not being able to ever hold a government job or work for the police, postal or fire department. Personally, I don't even think he should have the right to ever vote either.
He deserves to be mocked and made fun of in front of the entire command where he will be made an example to others.
He fully is deserving of the label of coward because he failed to live up to his 'word'.

No comments: